Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Best Thing I Listened to in 2010





Okay, so I'm cheating a bit, but how did I live without this album for the last several decades?

I think it's probably the cover: the divine Miss Evie Sands looks like she's cycling her way over to the hay wain for a bit of clog dancing and some Steeleye Span karaoke. As it turns out, this Brooklyn-born lass was actually on the way to the sessions for this album, which features the original and stunning version of Any Way That You Want Me and another dozen bonzer tracks. There's a particularly meretricious cover of Take Me For a Little While and a bunch of other great blue-eyed country soul, all brilliantly arranged and brightly produced by the legendary Chip Taylor and the not so legendary Al Gorgoni, who on the basis of this work alone deserves to be elevated to Godlike Genius status. And now to track down Evie's earlier ABC and Blue Cat singles...you can still order the Rev-Ola Records reissue of Any Way That You Want Me from the label at http://www.cherryred.co.uk/revola/artists/eviesands.php.



There'll be a longer musical post along in a week or a bit, but I couldn't let this disc go unmentioned.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a semi-aquatic marine mammal who enjoys eating fish and krill, as well as taking long underwater swims