I have a lot more to say about the incredible and horrifying things that happened in Oakland today, but while I digest the experience, I'll just share a brief anecdote.
Around 3:30 PM, my son and I left the Move-In march as the first tear-gas canisters erupted. We decided to walk up 12th Street to catch the bus at Broadway. As we were walking towards Franklin Street, my son said 'look, there's Mayor Quan.'
Mayor Jean Quan was leaving some sort of event in Chinatown. She was completely unaware of the violence unfolding only two blocks away. Accompanied by a small entourage, all smiling and laughing as if it were just another day, she climbed into the Mayor Mobile wearing that red outfit she seems to wear to every City Council meeting.
As we walked past, I shouted 'stop attacking Occupy Oakland! Peace, peace...stop attacking us!'
Her entourage looked surprised. The Mayor didn't look at me.
Another day in Oakland, indeed.
- What I saw at J28
- My special moment with Jean Quan
- Good thoughts for J28
- A good day in Oakland
- Some random but serious questions and comments abo...
- Rule Number One & UC Riverside
- "No more silly rules and no more law and order"
- Occupy Oakland Running Festival!
- Win some, lose some...wait, we WON one?
- Boycott American Licorice!
- Sunday morning quarterback
- The Birmingham Sound: The Soul of Neal Hemphill Vo...
- Camp Care-a-Lot
- Garbage cans of doom
- ▼ January (16)