Tuesday, January 3, 2012
Garbage cans of doom
Our illustrious chief of police, Howard Jordan, today complained that Occupy Oakland is causing a trash problem in Ogawa-Grant Plaza.
According to the City's press release revoking the vigil permit (and it's disgusting in itself that the use of public space can be subject to 'permits'), "individuals associated with the permitted activities are sleeping and lodging around the teepee and table, food is being distributed without the necessary health permits, garbage cans have been erected, and the area is being used as long-term personal storage (tables, chairs, mats, tarps, bedrolls, sleeping bags, food, coolers, etc.)."
Now how does this jibe with the city's (and the mainstream media's) depiction of occupiers as naught but smelly hippies? Why on Earth would a group of pot-smoking, patchouli-drenched, upper-middle class trustafarians ERECT GARBAGE CANS?
Hmm. No trash receptacles in THIS picture. Perhaps Jordan mistook Occupy Oakland's giant bongs for garbage cans?
Once again, the mind reels.
- What I saw at J28
- My special moment with Jean Quan
- Good thoughts for J28
- A good day in Oakland
- Some random but serious questions and comments abo...
- Rule Number One & UC Riverside
- "No more silly rules and no more law and order"
- Occupy Oakland Running Festival!
- Win some, lose some...wait, we WON one?
- Boycott American Licorice!
- Sunday morning quarterback
- The Birmingham Sound: The Soul of Neal Hemphill Vo...
- Camp Care-a-Lot
- Garbage cans of doom
- ▼ January (16)